Sunday, January 25, 2015

Why John Mayer is Relevant to my Life

Hi everyone!

So I may be late to the John Mayer bandwagon (if there still is one), but over the past year or so, I've grown to love his music. This mainly stemmed from my attendance to one of his concerts at the end of summer 2013, for his Born and Raised Tour. I originally had not planned to go; a group of my friends had gotten tickets, and when one of them couldn't attend, I took her place. I figured why not? I wasn't a huge John Mayer fan at the time, but my friends and I were all heading off to college a couple of weeks later, so it would be one last hurrah before we went our separate ways. Long story short-I went into the concert knowing three John Mayer songs, and left yearning for more.
Within the next few months, I slowly built up my Itunes library with more and more Mayer songs. Before I knew it, I had downloaded three full albums: Room for Squares, Continuum, and Born and Raised.
Here's the thing I like about Mayer-he doesn't just write love songs. Sure, he has some pretty great ones (Back to You might be the most perfect love song, but that's a discussion for another day), but he also writes about adulthood and trying to find yourself as you get older. No Such Thing, Why Georgia, Stop this Train, Born and Raised-all of these songs are about entering adulthood and trying to make sense of life. 
 (My friends and I wearing our #mayerisback bracelets)

That's why John Mayer is relevant to my life right now. I just turned 20, and it's starting to hit me that one day I'll be a college graduate venturing out into the "real world." To be honest, it's scary thinking about the future and what it holds for me; however, it's also incredibly exciting. I can't spend my time worrying about the future; I can only accept that it's happening and try to make the most out of life.

So to anyone who's worried about getting older and entering the real world, it's okay if you don't have everything figured out now. Just keep living your life, and have faith that everything will fall into place. 
To quote John Mayer, "Act your age in the age of worry, and say worry, get out of here!"
 
Happy reading,

Ashley 

p.s. here are some of the John Mayer songs
Why Georgia:

The Age of Worry 

No Such Thing:

Stop this Train

Born and Raised

No comments:

Post a Comment